Kambo Treatments and Retreats on Lake Atitlan
Kambo Treatment Clinic
The Inoculation Treatment
- The "Inoculation" is foundational to working with Kambo.
- 3 Kambo Ceremonies/Treatments within a 28 day period. Normally 3 consecutive days.
- 10AM- 2PM each day unless otherwise indicated. Guests return home each day post ceremony/treatment.
- Snacks post ceremony/treatment included.
- Kambo "points" are placed on chakra points, meridian points or auricular (ear) points.
Private Kambo Treatments
- Single treatment: $150USD
- Inoculation package (3 Treatments): $400 USD
Location, Lodging & Food Options
- We are located in the small village of Tzununa on Lake Atitlan, Guatemala. Tzununa is very close to San Marcos.
- Our treatments and packages include post ceremony snacks.
- The closest and easiest lodging option is Doron Zen and Yoga Center (click for link). They have shared rooms/dormitory, private rooms with shared bath and private rooms with private baths.
What is Kambo and Why do People Use Kambo?
“Kambo", also called “Sapo”, is the skin secretion of the giant waxy monkey tree frog (phyllomedusa bicolor) found in the lower basin of the Amazon. For thousands of years tribes have worked with it to cleanse and invigorate mind, body, and spirit. Kambo originally is estimated to have been used by as many as 53 tribes, and in present day is now also administered around the world by practitioners for various purposes.
In the Amazon Kambo is used to dispel ‘Panema’, bad luck, increase "hunting magic", and for attracting a partner.
For the modern person Kambo may help support the clearing of dispirited energies that come from misalignments in thoughts, beliefs, and behaviors. Kambo may help bring back a vitality and clarity that people were not even aware they were without. This can often be liberating, allowing one to be more in their power and acceptance of life.
In the Amazon Kambo is also used by tribes as a remedy for snake bites, malaria, fevers, infections, fertility problems, and many epidemic illnesses.
In the modern world two decades of scientific research has produced several studies on the bio-active peptides in Kambo, showing the effects they have on numerous illnesses like Cancer, HIV, Parkinson's, Multiple Sclerosis, Alzheimer's, Chronic Fatigue, Autoimmune, Diabetes, Arthritis, Chronic Pain, and Depression.
What Does Kambo Contain?
Kambo contains many bio-active peptides, amino acid chains that perform a biological function producing a positive impact on the human body. These functions are what many pharmaceutical medications attempt to replicate. There are many peptides in Kambo, but scientists currently consider the following most important:
Dermaseptin - a potent antimicrobial against bacteria, yeast, fungi, and protozoa and enveloped viruses. Also effective against various filamentous fungi that are responsible for severe opportunistic infections.
Dermorphin - A heptapeptide with a potent opiate-like activity on mu-type opiod receptors, which have potent depressive and analgesic effects.
Deltorphin - A potent delta-opioid receptor agonist. (Dermorphin and Deltorphin are 4000 times stronger than morphine and 40 times stronger than endogenic b-endorphines.)
Phyllomedusin - affects the salivary glands, tear ducts, intestines, and bowels; it contracts the smooth muscles, and contributes to purging.
Phyllokinin - A potent blood vessel dilator that also temporarily increases the permeability of the blood-brain barrier.
Phyllocaerulein - Stimulates the adrenal cortex and the pituitary gland, causes a fall in blood pressure, causes tachycardia, and has a potent action on the gastrointestinal smooth muscle, and stimulates gastric, biliary and pancreatic secretions.
Phyllotorin - Active in the central and peripheral nervous system, stimulate gastric acid secretion and smooth muscle contraction.
Adenoregulin - An antimicrobial peptide that works with the adenosine receptors.
Sauvagine - Stimulates the adrenal cortex, causes a long lasting fall in blood pressure, and tachycardia.
Tryptophyllins - A less studied peptide, but known to be highly effective against Candida Albicans (Yeast).
The Kambo Ceremony/ Process
Set and Setting:
We work in small group circles of 1-6 people, and private home sessions are also offered. Groups circles are often three consecutive days of Kambo, often called the “Inoculation”. The three day Inoculation is a highly effective way to do Kambo as each day builds on the next such that the participant can go deeper and deeper each session.
Kambo is customarily done in a ceremonial space created by the practitioners through intention and gratitude. Rape' (ra-peh) is offered prior to applying Kambo and ceremonial sage and palo santo are burned. Icaros (healing songs) are sung by the practitioners to help participants through their process with Kambo.
Applying the Kambo “Points”:
Kambo application begins as the practitioner makes tiny superficial burns (1/8" across) to the epidermis. These superficial burns create the “gates”, or entry spots for the Kambo to absorb into the body. No Bleeding occurs as this only exposes the dermis, giving access to the lymphatic system.
Traditionally the gates are placed on the upper left arm or chest for men and lower right ankle for women. Western practitioners such as ourselves have expanded gate placement to other parts of the body such as chakra points and meridian points.
Once the gates are ready, the practitioner then adds water to Kambo dried on a flat stick and rolls it into jellylike small round points with a knife. While this is happening the participant drinks water to aid in purging during the session. When the Kambo points are ready, they are then applied to gates. For initial sessions 3-9 points are typically applied.
After the Kambo treatment the practitioners clean the gates and apply “Sangre De Drago”- a tree resin extremely effective in protecting wounds and reducing healing time. It is also effective at preventing scars.
The process will leave small wounds on the skin which will scab over and leave small scars which will fade in 4-6 months.
Traditionally, indigenous people do not hide their Kambo marks. In fact they are displayed proudly.
Simply put, there will be a wound, followed by a light scar, but only for a short period of time: 4-6 months.
The Effects and the Process:
Kambo begins to work within about 5 minutes. It starts with an initial warmth, flush, and increased heart rate. Then Kambo begins to work more intensely. This next level intensity is felt in many different ways through the body. Often times it can be quite challenging and uncomfortable as the Kambo moves through weaknesses and energy blockages in a variety of ways.
While the process can be uncomfortable and intense, one might gain significant clarity and insight may be gained in regards to their energetic blockages.
As one works with Kambo, they often find that surrendering to the process allows them to release significant energetic, emotional and mental blockages. Sometimes, as one learns to surrender to the process and Kambo, the once uncomfortable process can become surprisingly pleasant.
As Kambo moves through the body, a desire to purge comes on with increasing intensity. Purging is a very important part of the process. The purge is made significantly easier by drinking water.
The purge often releases bile and mucous as the body expels toxins. The purging can bring on intense feelings of relief physically, emotionally, and energetically.
The effects of Kambo begin to subside about 20-40 minutes into the session. The Kambo points are then removed and the gates are attended to for healing. The person then usually lies down to rest for about 20 minutes.
Often light processing continues at this time, yet overall the feeling is one of deep relaxation or revitalized energy. After this 20 minute rest, electrolytes are immediately replenished, a healthy meal is often eaten, and low activity for the day is recommended.
- Recent users of diuretics
- Pregnant or breastfeeding mothers with babies under 1 year
- Stroke, aneurysm, brain hemorrhage, blood clots
- Serious heart conditions, including surgeries or an enlarged heart
- Extremely low blood pressure that is controlled by medication
- Serious wounds externally or internally not yet healed
- Cognitive disorders preventing the understanding of Kambo
- Immunosuppressant medications
- Chemotherapy or radiation treatments or less than 4 weeks prior or 6 months following
- Serious mental health conditions, whether or not on medication or undergoing other treatments, except depression.
- Heroin or methadone addiction
- Anyone under the age of 18
- We ask that people wait 2-3 days between Kambo and Ayahuasca.
- Severe eating disorders
- Menstrual flow, will increase for 24-36 hours
- Alcohol or drugs within 24 hours of Kambo
- Certain Herbal or nootropic (smart drug) supplements within 48 hours
- Asthma, must have an inhaler present
- Diabetes, fasting exceptions if required
- Major acute or chronic illness
- Colonics, enemas, liver flushes, or any water based detox 3 days before and after.
This content regarding Kambo is provided for informational purposes only and is in no way medical advice. Use of Kambo is not intended to treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Kambo should always be administered by a trained practitioner. Improper application or misunderstanding of contraindications for Kambo may pose unnecessary health risks.